The Situation Before Contegro
FRED are a Taupo based, boutique brand and web development agency, focused on building a ‘buzz’ and generating results.
Initially FRED was set up to assist smaller businesses in the development of their brands, advertising campaigns and marketing implementation. Websites were not a part of this initial mix, but it soon became apparent that opportunity was being lost in having to farm out website projects to other specialist companies.
As Geri, one of the two partners in the business told us –
“We were lead generating for other website companies. We wanted to be able to provide a better all round service for our clients by providing the total marketing package for their business.”
In addition to lost revenue opportunity, FRED had also come to realise how bringing in a third party who had direct interaction with their client often complicated the matter and in some cases actually harmed their relationship with that client.
“We realised that we needed to find a solution so that we could front the website project totally” says Geri, “keeping complete control over it and managing a seamless solution the client throughout”.
They thought they’d found an answer through and initial partnership with a website development company based in off-shore, and although the partnership and solution worked well, FRED was growing very quickly and a more close-to-home and robust partnership was needed to keep up with the business growth.
During the start-up months, some of the solutions FRED needed were:
Flexibility with the operating system. “Simply put” says Geri, “templated designs were not the way forward, we were advising our clients of USP’s and showcasing points of difference, therefore our websites needed to reflect this.”
Complete control over design and structural changes. “All changes and design initiatives needed to be managed in-house, as going through a developer cost the company and client unreasonable costs both in money and time” Geri recalls.
Localised support but at a professional level. Very often FRED personnel needed to speak to someone there and then, and being based in a smaller centre like Taupo, face to face meetings with developers are near impossible at short notice so contact ability was paramount.
As Geri recalls,
“We really felt that due to the growth of the company and the increasing expectation of the savvy client, we had to do something positive to advance at a professional level. Expectation in a small town is that we can deliver the same as a big-city agency, but at an affordable cost and without the ready access to qualified technical staff, which is the principle reason why we adopted the Contegro system.”
The Situation After Becoming a Contegro Partner
Fortunately, help was at hand in the form of a New Zealand designed CMS called Contegro. This commercially developed product ideally fitted FRED’s needs, especially as it was designed from the outset to make the whole build process so easy. In short, the Contegro CMS has been specifically designed for design and branding orientated agencies and website companies to build highly functional websites without having to involve website developers.
The main benefits according to Geri, in becoming a Contegro Partner include:
- Website build projects are so much easier. We are able to use our own design skills for the front end which ties in perfectly with what we are doing with the client brand and marketing programmes.
- Website build time frames have massively reduced – we’re now able to turn around projects so much quicker than before which is a huge advantage, especially as many of our clients seem to want websites built yesterday!
- We front the whole project, including user training. Contegro stay completely in the background, working as support for us but with no client contact.
- Managing changes is now a breeze. What took hours before, now literally takes just minutes. This gives us the flexibility to either generate extra revenue, or where necessary cut costs to clients to be even more price competitive.
- We have been able to pitch for and win much larger website projects. In themselves these have been excellent revenue generators, but more so, these larger projects are already proving to be excellent long term revenue generators, not just from their websites, but with the other services we also offer. Without winning the website deal, we’d likely not have won this other work.
- Quoting for website projects is much simpler than previously as Contegro provide excellent pricing guidelines, plus really good supporting marketing material.
- Contegro has a proven track record in New Zealand. This is important when dealing with New Zealand companies. Knowing that many household brand names are also using the same Contegro CMS gives massive reassurance and helps us sell our solutions.
- We get excellent support from the whole Contegro team, from helping us in the sales process to integrating our designs to the CMS, to full blown ‘geek’ technical support when required. This is all in our own language and immediate!
- We earn passive revenue from website hosting. A good thing to have coming in regularly each month!
As a forward thinking company FRED identified that their initial business model was not achieving all that it could for them and was not coping with the growth. They identified the issues and the type of solution they required and were pro-active in looking for it. Although the first remedy they sought worked well initially, they continued looking and once they came on board with Contegro, have really seen their business progress from an all-encompassing perspective.
If you recognise your current situation in FRED’s old one, then it would be worth talking to us to see whether becoming a Contegro Partner would be the right move for you.
To Register Your Interest - Click Here!